Pageviews past week

Friday, July 22, 2011

J.H. Barwise - At Home Later Years

This is a picture of J.H. Barwise in his home at Eleventh and Austin in Wichita Falls just a block from where I lived at 909 Eleventh Street.  The picture itself was scanned from the book by Johnnie R. Morgan, "The History of Wichita Falls."  Other than the copy I have, there are copies in the Wichita Falls Library.

He died in 1927 at the age of 97.  His health and toughness were indeed exceptional considering the medical capability at that time.  His son--Myron, my grandfather--died the same year of a heart attack.  Nothing could be done.  I had a heart attack at the same age he was when he had his, and I was back to normal in six weeks in 1991.  How medical  science changed in a relatively short period of time.

  --Howard DeMere

No comments:

Post a Comment